- Quinoa, Red Pepper and Cucumber Salad with Avocado and Lime
- Quinoa is a grain that has a nutty flavor. It is great to use in salads, such as this recipe. It’s light but filling. Make a big batch and use it for lunch.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 clove garlic pounded to a smooth paste with a pinch of salt
- 1 lg shallot finely diced
- 1 med jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 3 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice more as needed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (can use less and get the same taste)
- 1 med red pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1 med cucumber peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice to equal 1 cup
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 2-3 med ripe avocado sliced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with salt. Add quinoa to boiling water and cook until tender with just a hint of crunch, 12 – 15 minutes. Drain well and spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool at room temperature.
- Put the garlic, shallot, jalapeno and lime juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and stir to combine. Let sit for 5-10 min. Add 1/4 -1/2 cup of the olive oil and whisk to combine. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if necessary.
- Put the quinoa, red pepper, cucumber and chopped cilantro in a med bowl. Drizzle about half of the vinaigrette into the bowl and gently fold to combine. Taste and add more salt or vinaigrette if necessary. Or, add a squeeze more lime juice if needed.
- Arrange the sliced avocado on a platter on individual serving plates (allowing a 1/2 of an avocado per person). Season the avocado with salt and drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the top. Spoon the quinoa salad on and around the avocado. Garnish with several leafy sprigs of cilantro and serve immediately.