- Raw Chocolate-Chia Energy Bars
- Chia seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients. Just 3 tbsp has 12 gm of fiber, 5 gm of protein and is a great source of Omega 3's (healthy fats) This recipe is super easy; no baking involved. Source: Vegetarian Times website http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/raw-chocolate-chia-energy-bars/
|8 bars||15 minutes|
- 1 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup raw unsweetened cocoa (unsweetened cocoa works, just will not be considered "raw")
- 1/3 cup whole chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1/4 tsp almond extract optional
- 1 cup raw slivered almonds or raw shelled pistachios
- Oat flour for dusting optional
- Place dates in bowl of food processor; purée until thick paste forms. Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and vanilla and almond extracts, if using. Pulse until all ingredients are combined. Add almonds; pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed through date mixture.
- Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface, and dust with oat flour, if using. Transfer date mixture to wax paper, and use paper to press mixture into ½-inch-thick rectangle. Wrap tightly, and chill overnight.
- Unwrap block, and cut into 8 bars. Dust edges and sides with oat flour, if using, to prevent sticking. Rewrap each bar in wax paper.
- Nutritional Information: Cal 195; Prot 5g; Fat 8g; Sat Fat <1g; Carbs: 31g; Cholesterol: 0; Sodium 2mg; Fiber 7g; Sugar 22g