- Great Corn Bread Stuffing
- What is Thanksgiving without stuffing!!! My husband and I tried this recipe from the Great Good Food cookbook, about 5 years ago, and we have used it every year since. It does take a little extra work...but anything really worth it does, right!?! CAUTION: This makes an ENORMOUS amount of stuffing. I have to use two baking pans for the full recipe. We usually half it and still have tons for left overs. It is also super versatile; added dried cherries/cranberries/apricots, chestnuts/walnuts/hazelnuts, mushrooms, pears...the sky is the limit on the many ways you can change up the flavors.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16 people||45 minutes||60 minutes|
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (99% fat free)
- 2 cups onion coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp curshed red pepper flakes
- 8 cups Cracklin Corn Bread coarsely crumbled (Recipe also on the site)
- 1 cup pecan halves coarsely chopped
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples cored and cut into chunks
- 2 cups fresh Italian parsley coarsely minced
- 1/2 cup fresh sage finely miced
- 3 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth works too)
- 1 cup bourbon or chicken broth
- 4 med egg whites at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp bakin soda
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a medium sauté pan, place the turkey, onion, and pepper flakes, and brown over medium heat. Drain off the fat.
- In a VERY large bowl combine the turkey mixture, corn bread, pecans, raisins, apples, parsley, and sage and toss very well. Add chicken broth and pepper to tast; add the bourbon or more broth.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. (I just put it in my mixer and let it go!) Gently fold the egg whites and baking soda into the mixture; it will become quite moist.
- Spoon into two 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dishes and bake for 45-60 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
- Per Serving: 350 Cal, 39g Carbs, 15g Prot, 8g Fat, 42mg Cholesterol
- From Great Good Food cookbook by Julee Rosso, pg 422